[open-government] We need international open government data principles

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mon Jul 18 15:44:03 UTC 2011

Thanks for the update John.

My impression: the OGP is a great opportunity for countries to show that they willing to take action at the national level (Action plans) and to look good by joining the initiative (PR).

However I have my doubt that this is a great opportunity to set international standards. The OGP clearly stays outside the UN because otherwise it would not have happened.

My belief is that the 8 Principles and also the 10 principles and the open definition are strong because clear. I am a bit sceptical about approaching the UN or even OGD to agree on Open Government Data Principles. I am afraid that at the end of such a process we would end up with watered down results. e.g. the bare minimum standard that hurts nobody.

Please keep us posted John.

Daniel