[open-government] [euopendata] We need international open government data principles

Philip Ashlock phil at openplans.org
Fri Jul 22 04:17:48 UTC 2011

I definitely think that any such effort should start by looking at what has
come out of the 8 Principles. These were looked at quite thoroughly and
expanded to 12 principles by Josh Tauberer and as previously mentioned were
expanded to 10 principles by the folks at the Sunlight Foundation.  At least
in North America, the 8 principles tend to be seen as the defacto principles
and definitions for open government data and have since established
precedent in law. As I mentioned before, the 8 principles were included in
Ottawa's open data bill as well as the briefing paper for the proposed open
data bill for NYC. They're also the core of a proposed bill in New
Hampshire. Furthermore, they've been used as a rubric for the actual data
release process such as that done by the city of Seattle:

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2010/05-12/csedc/08-ACS2010-COS-ITS-0005-Open%20data%20%282%29.htm
http://www.scribd.com/doc/43830154/New-York-City-Council-Int-29-Accessibility-to-Public-Records
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2011/HB0310.html
http://dropbox.ashlock.us/opengov/seattle/Open%20Data%20Candidate%20Requirements%20and%20Risk%20Evaluation%20V1%209.html

I think looking at the precedents that have been established working with
these 8 principles is the best way to solidify any such effort. It's also
helpful to acknowledge how these have evolved and been implemented in a more
organic and iterative fashion than trying to get a bunch of governments in a
room to all agree on something. This is particularly the case when looking
at local governments with their distributed multitudes rather than the more
rare chances to establish and implement such principles at the national
level.

Over the years, it's really been fun to watch how these policies go viral
and get refined over time. The Open Motion passed in Vancouver in 2009 was
the first in this modern wave of open government policies, but the language
used in that bill went on to be included in similar legislation elsewhere
such as the resolution passed soon after in Portland Oregon:

http://eaves.ca/2009/05/14/vancouver-enters-the-age-of-the-open-city/
http://siliconflorist.com/2009/09/28/city-portland-mayor-sam-adams-resolution-open-source-open-data-transparency-communities-official/

As I mentioned before, I've been trying to catalog these kinds of policies,
principles and best practices on the Civic Commons wiki, but I think the
best resource for coalescing a definitive set of principles from the
original 8 principles is the piece that Josh Tauberer wrote called Open Data
is Civic Capital:

http://razor.occams.info/pubdocs/opendataciviccapital.html

On the wiki:
http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Open_Data_Policy
http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Open_Data_Guidelines

Perhaps the OGP won't be a meaningful or functional venue to further develop
this, but I think it is something that will be high profile and will draw a
lot of attention, so at the very least it could be used to draw attention to
the work that's being done by others including local governments to commit
to a set of principles like many have started to do with the 8 principles.
This could actually be an effective way to have national governments follow
suit.

In any case, I hope to talk about this more at the OGP meeting tomorrow.

Cheers,
Phil

Philip Ashlock
Open Government Program Manager | *OpenPlans.org*<http://www.openplans.org/>|