[open-government] Yes, Microsoft OGDI is open source

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 22 17:00:08 UTC 2011

On 22 July 2011 17:43, Philip Ashlock <phil at openplans.org> wrote:
> In my understanding, the definition of open source is typically used more
> autonomously so its usage applies just to the specific piece of code you're
> referring to and not all its dependencies as well. There are lots of open
> source projects built for Microsoft Windows or Amazon EC2, neither of which
> are open. If you took a purist stance on it, you'd be asking for everything
> to be open source including the BIOS on the server hosting the app.

I think the issue here is that the interlocking between OGDI and Azure
is much more fundamental and tighter than, say, running Postgresql on
an EC2 instance. Specifically the entire backend for OGDI depends on
the structured storage framework in Azure which isn't portable in any
way (as I understand it).

My point here would be if that if one were talking about formats or
clients libraries with working with those formats then the OGDI could
be considered open source but this discussion arose around this wiki
page: <http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Data_Platform>. In this case the
part of OGDI we're looking at is the data platform which, I believe,
depends fundamentally on Azure and its storage system and
functionality.

> In the case of OGDI, I think it's fair to say that the fact that it relies
> on so many propriety dependencies is a major limiting factor, but it doesn't
> mean it's not open source. The code is released under an open source
> license, that's what makes it open source.

I think this is becoming a definitional issue of what we mean by
'OGDI'. Perhaps we should say something like "OGDI Data Platform". In
which case, as discussed I don't think this should be designated as
open source given the fundamental requirement and integral nature of
non-opensource components.

> Open source doesn't necessarily imply platform portability or modularity,
> though that's often the case. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case
> for OGDI.
>
> On the other hand, Windows platforms and .Net development skills are by far
> the most prevalelent skills and platforms for governments in North America.
> Governments shouldn't be forced to move everything to the more open
> Unix-centric environment just to gain the benefits of open source processes.

I agree though of course there are many things that can run on
non-unix environments that aren't .NET (including standard LAMP).

> Though ultimately this may help them see the benefits of the broader open
> source ecosystem which tends to be Unix-centric.

Quite agree. As I often say (in a slightly different context):

"don't be fanatic, be pragmatic" (apologies to grammar purists).

Rufus

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation