[open-government] Open data competitions - archive + documentation?

Jan Vangrinsven jan.vangrinsven at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:31:49 UTC 2011

I think competition is a very good way to get practical examples about what
open data could be. We had one in Belgium a couple of weeks ago (
http://appsforghent.be/).

But I would prefer two kinds of contests :

1) Build an app (and it should also be a website ! ) not everyone can afford
an expensive device.
2) An original concept of an app on open data. Lot's of open data apps are
very similar (train, energy...) we should try to stimulate creative minds -
not only developers.

On 12 June 2011 15:18, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> Just saw this new competition in Vienna - which looks excellent!
>

> http://www.epsiplatform.eu/news/news/first_vienna_open_data_challenge_announced
>
> This made me think we probably need a better way to capture and
> display information about open data competitions. Our spreadsheet is
> getting pretty outdated:
>
> http://opengovernmentdata.org/data/competitions/
>
> I think this is useful information to have - both from a policy
> perspective and as an archive for anyone interested in doing a
> competition themselves.
>
> Friedrich: do you think this is the kind of thing that could be added
> to CKAN? Or can you think of another elegant way to do this?
>
> Also I think we should add a section to OpenDataManual.org with a "how
> to" section on organising competition, events and other activities. At
> the moment we give examples, but a step-by-step guide (or several)
> would probably be useful. I'd be willing to give some notes/text based
> on what we did for the Open Data Challenge. What do people think?
>
> Katalin: you also said you'd be willing to provide input based on your
> experiences organising the Amsterdam apps competition?
>
> Tim: any thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Jonathan Gray
>
> Community Coordinator