[open-government] [psi-workers] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Federico Morando federico.morando at polito.it
Thu Mar 24 12:26:08 UTC 2011

On 03/24/2011 01:08 PM, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> Some key ideas for rules:
>
> * Pan-European angle is strongly encouraged
I surely agree. We may even say that you should use data from at least 2
member states and/or that your app shoul make sense in at least two
member states (e.g. in London and Paris).
> * Entries for apps must come from team which contains groups/individuals from at least 2 EU member states
I don't think that this is necessary: let's put constraints on the
apps/data (as you did above and below) and not on the
institution/organization/group that proposes them... It's a call for
apps, not a EU project ;-)
> * Repurposed apps are allowed (i.e. an app that exists for London can be expanded to work for Paris + Torino and entered)
OK, sure!
> * Apps must be open source
> * Core data must be freely reusable and derived data must be openly licensed
I'm not entirely sure: we may say that this is a plus in the evaluation,
but is it a requirement? What needs to the open are the public data (in
input), not necessarily the code/data of the re-users ("derived
data")... [Personally, I'm sympathetic with this rule - in particular
the part about open source code: it's just that I think it deserves an
explicit and open discussion.]

Thanks and best regards,

Federico