[open-government] Things I'm up to this week

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Mon May 16 00:42:54 UTC 2011

Hi all

I've recently begun contracting for the OKFN (thanks especially to Rufus,
Jason & Jonathan for having me on). At this stage, my focus is on enhancing
opengovernmentdata.org & opendatamanual.org. I thought it would be
worthwhile to provide a small note about what I plan to achieve this week:
Goals
 + priorities
   - migrating opendatamanual.org to Sphinx, so anyone can fork the repo and
contribute
   - finishing the opengovernmentdata.org FAQ
   - getting all of the data from opengovernmentdata.org that's imported via
Google Spreadsheets to CKAN.net
   - writing a list of annexes to the Open Data Manual where contributions
are welcome
   - writing guides for contributions, such as translations, for Open Data
Manual, opengovernmentdata.org
   - discussions with Department of Internal Affairs on collaboration
surrounding Mix & Mash 2011 (an govt. data competition)
   - content writing, esp. Open Data Manual, writing a list of data sources

  + maybes
     - mocking up wireframes of a Sphinx theme for prose, rather than
technical documentation
     - learn what Fluidinfo is
     - create a comparison document between alternatives for bulk data
storage

  + related/own time
    - generate iCal feeds for all events/consultation deadlines from New
Zealand government agencies
    - scrape more govt. data

Events:
Wednesday:  Meeting with Land Information New Zealand officials on the New
Zealand Open Government Data and Information Charter

Upcoming:
23rd:   Meeting with officials from Archives New Zealand re the Government
Digital Archive Programme (GDAP)

Tim McNamara  |  @timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks>  |
timmcnamara.co.nz