[open-government] What are your questions for opengovernmentdata.org?

Sarah Welsh info at nmfog.org
Tue May 3 00:38:20 UTC 2011

I second the “prove it works” question. Maybe something like, “What’s the
potential ROI for open data?” For many open-government advocates, open-data
initiatives mark the first time we’re asking policy-makers to invest real
money in open government – for years, we’ve primarily pushed legal reforms
that go on the books and cost money only when the government screws up and
gets sued. If policy-makers are going to invest money, they want to know why
it’s worth it .. who uses open data, what they use it for, and what the
return on investment (in real dollars/pounds/euros) is to both government
and the public.

I guess I also have a question for your site
 when you say ‘support
development of open government data catalogues’, is that about encouraging
governments to publish their own data proactively online, or is the idea
that data will be legally available and copyright-free so that we as private
citizens can obtain and publish it ourselves? Or both? I suppose the
question is, who do we think should ultimately bear the responsibility of
publishing public data? I certainly don’t have an answer, just throwing it
out there.

Sincerely,

Sarah Welsh

Executive Director

New Mexico Foundation for Open Government

(505) 764-3750

(888) 843-9121

Do you support NM-FOG's work? Please consider donating at www.nmfog.org!