[open-government] Local legislation on open data

Scott Primeau sprimeau20 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:13:32 UTC 2011

Tom,

While broader than just open data, several organizations in the U.S. have
worked together to create a model local open government directive that can
be tailored for a city, county, state, or other government entity to create
a legal framework for supporting open government (transparency, open data,
citizen participation, and collaboration).

The model local open government directive is available at
http://opengovernmentinitiative.org/.

Currently, Cook County, IL is moving towards implementing an open government
plan based off of  the model directive:
http://blog.cookcountygov.com/2011/04/19/preckwinkle-fritchey-move-to-open-up-cook-county-data/.

Also, in addition to its open data plan, the model directive may be featured
at the upcoming SFOpen forum for San Francisco, CA mayoral candidates:
http://sf.govfresh.com/san-francisco-mayoral-candidates-to-share-their-open-government-ideas-at-sfopen-2011/

-Scott

Scott Primeau
Colorado Smart Communities