[open-government] Any big ideas for the 2012 elections online?

Steven Clift clift at publicus.net
Wed Oct 26 13:03:50 UTC 2011

I've started a potential exchange of ideas on the 760 member Democracies
Online Exchange here:

http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/3wynYwnkD5HBjpATO8c5sF

If you'd like to tweet your idea too, I recommend the catch-all e-politics,
e-advocacy, e-elections "e-democracy" hashtag: #edem

To: "exchange at groups.dowire.org" <exchange at groups.dowire.org>

I am heading to a Knight Foundation convened meeting on elections and the
Internet oriented toward 2012 in the U.S. tomorrow.

Any big ideas that you'd like to see thrown in the pot?

Go for it.

My big idea is promoting a national open data set on who is on your ballot
right down to the local level as well as a creative commons driven open
source style election guide network built on that data.

You could allow candidates to claim their place and submit photos, misc.
short statements, contact info and links and supplement with media and
civic group produced voter guide profiles/info for open use and reuse
across hundreds of sites. (I see this as potentially linking in with the
http://democracymap.org idea which is essentially who won and currently
represents you from which government entities.)

Since my org. is busy with inclusive online community engagement these
days, I'll be sharing such ideas openly with the hope that they land
somewhere.

Steven Clift
clift at e-democracy.org  - +1 612 234 7072
http://stevenclift.com - @democracy