[open-government] OGD in the IT system procurement cycle

Antti Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:19:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

David Eaves raised a very good point (1) during the last weeks Open
Government Data Camp in Warsaw. I augmented the idea from technical
point of wiew (2).

(1) Open Data should be routinely included as a requirment when new
information systems are procured for the public sector bodies.
(2) Technically the new Governmental websites and portals should be
built on top API:s that could be then easily opened for others to use. (
See for example http://www.slideshare.net/JeniT/data-all-the-way-down )

Currently I am helping out the Finnish enviromental agency in their
procurement- and specification process for new data intensive systems.
There for I ask if you have any concrete examples on how the open data
was taken into account in some public sector IT system procurement
process. Any links, hints and thoughts are wellcome.

Best Regards,
Antti Poikola