[open-government] Help requested - mapping the world's open data catalogues

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Tue Oct 25 03:57:00 UTC 2011

Apologies for my absence. I thought it was important to answer these
questions :)

Truth me told, I had no idea about the map that you showed me, or
wider plans with CTIC. (Who is CTIC?) I certainly didn't want to
overstep the mark.

Here's a little more context, I hope will answer any questions:

Several months ago, I proposed an open data census:
http://ideas.okfn.org/ideas/110/facilitate-an-open-data-census. In
order to do that, we need something that people can edit themselves to
include things that are relevant to the area. That is, it needs to be
far broader than simply data catalogues.

Google Maps provides a far simpler interface than anything else that I
have encountered, which is why I thought that might be a useful route
to encourage participation. Jonathan happened to use that phrase for
something else. That led to a bit of a misunderstanding, because I
immediately thought that I should move ahead.

Crowdsourced information gathering scales very well. What they require
is critical mass. My idea of getting the catalogues on the map was to
provide an appropriate base for further contribution.

However, I'm terribly sorry to have stepped on toes here! It was not
my intention at all.