[open-government] OGD in the IT system procurement cycle

Julian Tait julian at futureeverything.org
Sun Oct 30 10:42:04 UTC 2011

Hi Antti,

All though this hasn't come to fruition yet in Manchester. The regional transportation authority TfGM have made a public commitment to Open Data. They are developing an integrated platform for the data that they produce - realtime transport, traffic loads, delays, roadworks, carparks etc. And built into this will be the ability to express open data. The Open Data Manchester community has been asked to come up with a robust case for why the data should be open, so it is integral to TfGM's the funding submission to Government.

Regards

Julian

On 26 Oct 2011, at 10:19, Antti Poikola wrote:

> Hello,
>
> David Eaves raised a very good point (1) during the last weeks Open Government Data Camp in Warsaw. I augmented the idea from technical point of wiew (2).
>
> (1) Open Data should be routinely included as a requirment when new information systems are procured for the public sector bodies.
> (2) Technically the new Governmental websites and portals should be built on top API:s that could be then easily opened for others to use. ( See for example http://www.slideshare.net/JeniT/data-all-the-way-down )
>
> Currently I am helping out the Finnish enviromental agency in their procurement- and specification process for new data intensive systems. There for I ask if you have any concrete examples on how the open data was taken into account in some public sector IT system procurement process. Any links, hints and thoughts are wellcome.
>
> Best Regards,
> Antti Poikola

Julian Tait
Open Data Cities and DataGM

M: 44 (0)7802 851 394
Skype: Julianlstar
Twitter: @julianlstar

FutureEverything - Innovation Lab and award winning global festival of art, music and ideas.

http://www.futureeverything.org

Twitter: @FuturEverything
Tag: #futr