[open-government] Canada's Shared Services initiative - White paper

Neil McEvoy neil at mcevoy.biz
Thu Sep 1 00:56:11 UTC 2011

Hey folks

The Canadian Federal Government recently announced a program to centralize
multiple IT departments into one single Shared Services department, to
generate $200m+ per annum savings and other efficiencies.

I believe Cloud computing is the ideal technology to play an enabling role
in this consolidation, and as part of this move to use of a more modern,
central technology platform it also presents a great opportunity for
increased use of Open Data by all the departments.

We're working on a white paper to this effect, that will be promoted to
all the key CIOs and other decision-makers, and I'm looking for some
relevant OD expert input. Let me know if you'd be interested.

First draft of the paper here:

http://cloudbestpractices.net/2011/08/31/new-white-paper-government-community-cloud/

--
Neil McEvoy