[open-government] [euopendata] Open Government data in Portugal

Deniz Susar susar at un.org
Thu Sep 1 18:12:49 UTC 2011

Dear Ricardo,

Congratulations. The site looks great and more importantly gives a snapshot
of what has been discussed in the parliament. I really liked the features
'most mentioned word' on a day and also by a deputy.

I am working at the UN office responsible for e-government development,
e-participation, open government etc.. You can learn more about us here.

http://www.unpan.org/DPADM/AboutUs/Whoweare/DPADMOrganizationalChart/tabid/719/Default.aspx

You will notice that we are also coordinating the activities of the 'Global
Centre for ICT in Parliament'.

Since you offered porting the application to other countries, I would be
glad to explore more and how we can cooperate on this. Feel free to contact
me if you are interested in.

Thanks,
-Deniz

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM, ricardo lafuente <bollecs at sollec.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 08/31/2011 02:28 PM, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
>>   * Might you be interested in writing a brief guest blog post on
>> these developments for the Open Knowledge Foundation Blog
>> (blog.okfn.org), to be cross-posted on ePSIplatform.eu?
>>

> Most definitely! I'm pinging you off-list for details.
>

>    * Can you or any of your colleagues come to the Open Government Data
>> Camp in Warsaw to meet others in the open data community from around
>> the world? More info at: http://ogdcamp.org/ There's also an EU Travel
>> Bursary here: http://bit.ly/eubursary
>>

> We're applying today! Thanks for the heads-up!
>
> :r
>

>  On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM, ricardo lafuente<bollecs at sollec.org>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hello lists,
>>> [apologies in advance for cross-posting]
>>>
>>> I've been lurking in here and thought it would be appropriate to let you
>>> know what's been going on in the Portuguese open data front. I noticed
>>> that
>>> Portugal is usually one of the very few EU countries missing from most
>>> open
>>> data initiatives.
>>>
>>> Around September last year, a group was formed in the city of Porto --
>>> named
>>> Transparency Hackday Porto -- to break with the apparent non-existence of
>>> any open data efforts in this country*. We hosted several hackdays in a
>>> hackerspace, including one two-day hackathon (joining the global
>>> transparency hackathon initiative), where we focused on parsing and
>>> normalising data on the Portuguese Parliament.
>>>
>>> One project that began on that hackathon and is now in Beta is
>>> http://demo.cratica.org, a frontend to access this data. There, we focus
>>> on
>>> MP info and Parliament transcripts, providing a simple and
>>> straightforward
>>> interface to allow anyone to go through it. We got wonderful feedback,
>>> especially regarding the contrast with the official Parliament site,
>>> where
>>> it's rather hard to reach Parliament transcripts (and they're not indexed
>>> by
>>> search engines).
>>>
>>> Sadly, we're using HTTPS meaning that Google Translate can't get through
>>> (we're discussing about changing that). However, here are a few links so
>>> that you can see what's where:
>>>
>>> List of MPs:         https://demo.cratica.org/**deputados/<https://demo.cratica.org/deputados/>
>>> MP info:             https://demo.cratica.org/**deputados/4166/<https://demo.cratica.org/deputados/4166/>
>>> Transcript calendar: https://demo.cratica.org/**sessoes/2010/<https://demo.cratica.org/sessoes/2010/>
>>> Session transcript:  https://demo.cratica.org/**sessoes/2010/6/17/<https://demo.cratica.org/sessoes/2010/6/17/>
>>>
>>> There are still many glitches and details that we're working on, but you
>>> can
> [...]

Best Regards,
Deniz

Deniz Susar
Division for Public Administration and Development Management (DPADM)
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA)
Tel: +1 212 963 8421
Email: susar at un.org