[open-government] About Moscow city administration opendata plans

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:52:13 UTC 2011

Hi everybody!

I have some news about russian open data. Yesterday Moscow government CTO
Artem Ermolaev met a few russian software developers to discuss re-use of
city information and he announced that city administration is going to
provide city data for interested developers.
For now city administration is going to provide web service with information
about taxi licenses.
And Artem Ermolaev promised to figure out formats for data publishing till
end of 2011.
It's not yet very promising since what I know they actually try to think
about open data as public services (government services) and they try to
avoid to publish "raw data" since they say that data quality could be low.
But anyway it's a little step for Russia to the wonderful world of open
data.

More info here in Russian -
http://www.cnews.ru/news/top/index.shtml?2011/09/14/455374 and in my blog
http://ivan.begtin.name/2011/09/15/moscowopen/. You could use Google
translate to translate it to your language.

I would like to lauch public discussion here in Russia about city data
openness and to civil oversight over city administration activities.
So could you help me please with information about similar city projects
around the world ? I know that there are Toronto, Chicago, Berlin and dozen
other city opendata projects.

If you know about any city level opendata portal, could you tell me about:
- how long time it takes to create it and to make it public?
- how expensive it is to create city level opendata portal?
- which open source solutions available? I know about CKAN and NDC from
Sunlight Labs.

--

Best Regards,
  Ivan Begtin