[open-government] [datameet] Is Open Data a Good Idea for the Open Government Partnership?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Thu Sep 29 04:24:26 UTC 2011

Thanks, Laina.

I think we need to ensure that we do not fall prey to techno-triumphalism nor to techno-scepticism. I'm currently writing a note on the centrality of the right to information in the open data movement, and am examining the role of technology and databases in it too. In that I caution against myopic techno-skepticism. I'll post that as soon as I'm done with it.

Cheers,
Pranesh

Laina Emmanuel <laina.emmanuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> We worry that this isn’t enough by itself.
>>
>> Why I mention this in the context of OGP is that there is a concern
>> shared amongst some of us involved that open data provides an easy
>way
>> out for some governments to avoid the much harder, and likely more
>> transformative, open government reforms that should probably be
>higher
>> up on their lists. Instead of fetishizing open data portals for the
>sake
>> of having open data portals, I’d rather see governments incorporating
>> open data as a way to address more fundamental structural challenges
>> around extractives (through maps and budget data), the political
>process
>> (through real-time disclosure of campaign contributions), or budget
>> priorities (through online publication of budget line-items).
>>
>> Granted, you can make a counter argument that open data is the
>“gateway
>> drug” to much deeper and challenging open government reforms, but
>until
>> I see that happen in practice I’ll remain a healthy skeptic.
>>
>> So when I see the [Kenyan government’s new open data portal][] (over
>> which many behind the US and UK data sites are absolutely gushing,
>and
>> at the time of this posting was actually down!), I can only wonder
>> whether the time, expenses, and political capital devoted to building
>> that website were really the best uses of resources. To vastly
>> understate the problem, Kenya has a range of governance and open
>> government challenges that go far beyond the lack of a website where
>> citizens (many of whom are not online) can chart government datasets.
>>
>> We’ve started to hear similar concerns from some of the technical
>> providers involved with building the US and UK open data projects
>(many
>> of these providers have expressed their willingness to work with
>other
>> governments under the auspices of OGP). The basic message has been,
>> “Yeah, there’s been plenty of excitement at political levels for
>these
>> projects, but it’s hard to say how significant the use or uptake [of
>the
>> data] has been.” A similar refrain has been “Everyone expects the
>> private sector to simply jump in and build a bunch of ‘apps.’ But we
>> aren’t really seeing that and don’t expect too much to happen apart
>from
>> apps using geospatial data.”
>>
>> Sobering stuff. The open data movement is clearly still in its
>infancy
>> and major successes may be yet to come. But in the interim, some
>caution
>> may be in order before we launch a global campaign to liberate every
>> last bit of government data out there, especially in lower-income
>> contexts where the opportunity costs may be massive.

- --
T: +91 80 40926283 | W: http://cis-india.org