[open-government] [datameet] Is Open Data a Good Idea for the Open Government Partnership?

Tim Davies tim at timdavies.org.uk
Fri Sep 30 16:35:48 UTC 2011

Hello all,

This is a really useful discussion.

Josh: I'd agree that open data has economic benefits - but we should be
clear that if the benefits are only economic then it has no place in an open
government partnership focussed on democratic openness. This highlights that
if we are to avoid open government data becoming an 'easy checklist' we
might need to articulate some of the core data that matters for democratic
openness as a baseline; along with some of the different elements that an
open data policy needs to involve beyond simply datasets + portal.

Jose: Nigel's 'Publish data that matters...' points is clearly important.
Although we need to complete that sentence with 'matters to who' as well -
or at least link the definition of what matters to open government processes
too.

My sense is that open government data clearly has a role to play in OGD, but
we must be careful (a) that it builds upon, rather than diverts from, an
emphasis on access to information, and (b) we really clearly articulate the
data is not enough point - and that open data for open government is:

   - supporting the right of citizens to interpret state data and to hold
   governments to account;
   - the potential for data to support citizen-state collaboration (that can
   only function when governments are open to that data);
   - the potential for open data to support innovation in public service
   delivery (again, that only functions when government has other forms of
   openness to this)

Thanks Pranesh for bringing this discussion to the list,

Tim

+44 (0)7834 856 303
@timdavies
http://www.timdavies.org.uk