[open-government] Global index of primary public government (ideally open) data sources? Ideally with an API?

Tariq Khokhar tariq at khokhar.net
Wed Apr 25 20:38:08 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I work on  http://data.worldbank.org/  and as you may know, we have
"country pages" that list our data for countries and regions around the
world. Index at:   http://data.worldbank.org/country -  And here's Kenya:
http://data.worldbank.org/country/kenya

I'd like to also start listing primary data sources on all these country
pages, so for Kenya, we'd at least have links to:

http://opendata.go.ke/  (national open data initiative)
http://www.knbs.or.ke/  (national stats office)

And ideall any other ministries or departments with public (ideally open)
data. A lot our data also comes from other sources (e.g. FAO or the ITU) so
being able to link to the data pages of these institutions would also be
great.

Does anybody know of a well maintained and curated index of primary
government (ideally open) data sources (including publishing
ministries/departments) with the index available as an API the World Bank
could pull from while making our country pages?

If there isn't something like this, ideas for how to do it much appreciated
- we'd be happy to host and help put something together.

The UN's list of stats offices may be a good start:
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/inter-natlinks/sd_natstat.asp but I
don't know how they license this.

Thanks!

Tariq