[open-government] About examples of "Big data" making use of open gov data

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Fri Jan 27 16:23:27 UTC 2012

I like the definition of Big Data by Dana Boyd and Kate Crawford (2011) [1]:

> Big Data not only refers to very large data sets and the tools and
> procedures used to manipulate and analyze them, but also to a
> computational turn in thought and research (Burkholder 1992). Just as
> Ford changed the way we made cars — and then transformed work itself
> — Big Data has emerged a system of knowledge that is already changing
> the objects of knowledge, while also having the power to inform how
> we understand human networks and community . . .
>
> It reframes key questions about the constitution of knowledge, the
> processes of research, how we should engage with information, and the
> nature and the categorization of reality. Just as du Gay and Pryke
> note that ‘accounting tools...do not simply aid the measurement of
> economic activity, they shape the reality they measure’ (2002, pp.
> 12-13), so Big Data stakes out new terrains of objects, methods of
> knowing, and definitions of social life.

To them, Big Data is more than just volume.

(Not saying the other definition is wrong or anything, just that I found
this perspective interesting and useful.)

[1] Boyd, Dana and Kate Crawford. Six Provocations for Big Data.
Presented at Oxford Internet Institute’s “A Decade in Internet Time:
Symposium on the Dynamics of the Internet and Society,” September 21,
2011. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstractid=1926431

- Josh Tauberer