[open-government] Russia: Open Government as "open examination"

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 11:19:16 UTC 2012

Greetiings, Ryan.

As I know from earlier "open examinations" signal-noise value is quite good
and some ordinary people provide very good response and act as experts. At
the same time final result is not so good yet since as I know government
agencies and state duma (parlament) are still unprepared for such public
discussion.

For example discussion over bill about fishing enlightened lot's of
weaknesses of this bill and it's still under review. Also we have lot's of
talks and publications here in Russia about this all since this is only one
of 5 or 8 public discussion systems and right now it's very popular
ideology.

Here is incomplete list of similar projects in Russia:
- Veche - http://veche.duma.gov.ru/ - It's official project of State duma
- Russian procurement bill discussion - http://ideas.economy.gov.ru/ .
Project of Ministry of economic development
- Russian government discussion platform (old) http://zakon.fom.ru - this
is first version of zakon.government.ru
- GosDiscuss - http://www.gosdiscuss.ru. One of the public platforms
- Zakonoproject 2012 - http://zakonoproekt2012.ru/ - Official platform of
president administration. It was place to discuss bills on education and
police.

And more on regional level.

I wrote first about zakon.government.ru - since it's most advanced of them
for now, but sure it's not the only platform. We have really strong
competition between these platforms right now.

About english text, to be honest I haven't seen any of them. We have a lot
of e-government and open government projects here in Russia and some of
them are really impressive but nearly all of them unknown by international
community.

Best Regards,
   Ivan Begtin

2012/3/12 Ryan Jendoubi <ryan.jendoubi at gmail.com>

> On 12/03/12 09:43, Ivan Begtin wrote:
>
>> Russian government launched new platform to discuss draft law (bills)
>> http://zakon.government.ru/
>> It's very well done technically
>> - people authorize via unified authorization on government services
>> portal, so it's completely unanonymous
>> - people may vote for paragraphs of texts and comment them
>> - people may rewrite paragraphs of texts and to vote for these
>> alternative versions
>>
>> It's so called "open examination". It's very popular topic right now in
>> Russia and lot's of projects launched last year including this one.
>>

> That sounds fascinating.
>
> What's the signal-to-noise ratio like? (i.e. constructive contributions vs
> "this provision is ****")
>
> Assuming there is a lot of "noise", how does one filter it?
>
> Do "ordinary people" make useful contributions, or are most sensible ones
> from practising jurists / academics?
>
> Do you have any links to good write-ups about this system in English, for
> the linguistically impaired?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> --ryan

Best Regards,