[open-government] Some thoughts about Russian Open Government and Open Data vs. Open Data Protocol

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Sat Mar 17 15:33:43 UTC 2012

Dear Ivan,

I am pleased to see this initiative. It will be interesting to see
whether the initiative continues under Putin (everything on the site
is still branded with Medvedev). I think the fact that individuals are
happy to put their names and faces to the the initiative, is a
positive.

I would be very interested to see whether any of the members of the
working group would be interested in joining us for Open Government
Data Camp at OKFestival, at present, we are discussing the possibility
of some sessions around the OGP, so that could potentially be a good
opportunity to include them in the discussion. One of the aspects of
holding the event in Finland that I was most excited about was the
proximity to Russia and hoping that we would get greater participation
from Russia.

Regarding conversation around Open Data in Russia, what platforms and
forums are people currently using to circulate ideas, prototypes? If
it would be at all helpful, we could set up a mailing list for Open
Data in Russia and start circulating ideas in Russian language to
engage people in the debate more widely - inside and outside
government. I (and other Russian-speaking members of the OKFN team)
would gladly help to facilitate discussions. It could also prove
useful to think about translating the Open Data Handbook into Russian
- if this is something you would be interested in, I would gladly also
help out.

Please let me know, and keen to keep this thread alive,

Lucy