[open-government] Citizens Engagement in Open Gov't Data

Ankit Sharma ankitsharma.iiitm at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:49:08 UTC 2012

Hello Fabio,

Incidentally I just blogged about a similar topic and think that it might
be of interest -
http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/circles-of-open-government-data/

In the blog I talk about how surveys can be useful in places where OGD is a
developed domain. I argue that using surveys to choose the datasets right
from the outset of an OGD implementation in a country may not be the best
of idea. Also, I am extremely keen in this topic and will be interested to
know what conclusions you draw from your research.

Best wishes,
Ankit

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting and important question and I'ld like to offer a couple of
> comments.
>
> First comment is that be cautious of being exclusively "demand" driven.
>  One
> problem in "technical" areas is that people often don't know what they
> don't
> know... If people have little or no knowledge of data they will have little
> means to identify what data they might want or need to have access to. And
> there is a corrolary which is that people who already know about data, know
> very well what additional data might be useful for them.
>
> This is a problem as it means that those who are already making use of data
> will be those who will be able to identify what further information they
> would like to make use of while those currently at a disadvantage won't,
> without some sort of external intervention reach a position where they can
> identify and usefully articulate a demand for data.
>
> The general observation I think is that one should not begin and end with a
> "demand" or "consumer" driven approach, rather better to begin with the
> notion of what information is required for active and effective citizenship
> as a baseline and then use that as a tool to inform and engage the broader
> community in identifying what additional information might desireably and
> usefully be made available.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike

Ankit Sharma
Masters | London School of Economics '10
http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com | http://obscurekashmiri.wordpress.com