[open-government] How to make apps contests more sustainable?

Muchiri Nyaggah muchiri at semacraft.com
Mon Nov 5 09:51:59 UTC 2012

There are a growing number of industry critics in East Africa now turning
up their noses at the idea of apps competitions and hackathons. They have
become a staple of the industry calendar, especially in Kenya, with some
being apps/ideas being repurposed for the next challenge by participants
who are now regulars at these events.

One approach that might work and which was put forward at a data bootcamp
held in Nairobi early this year is to transition the apps to a paid
developer team that builds them out to 'launch-ready' status. For
non-profit projects, I assume most hackathon participants/developers
wouldn't have a problem as long as they get a share of the glory later. The
Code4Kenya (code4kenya.org) program is working on one of the ideas that won
a prize at the data bootcamp and we're scheduled to launch it in
partnership with a local media house later this month.

For commercial projects, a great deal of care needs to be taken with regard
to intellectual property rights. Sometimes, bad press involving products
that come out of these events can be damaging enough to discourage
participation in future events.

Kind regards,

Muchiri Nyaggah | PRINCIPAL PARTNER
@muchiri