[open-government] Socrata Open Data Standards - Your Thoughts?

Will Pugh will.pugh at socrata.com
Sun Nov 18 17:51:28 UTC 2012

The effort for open-data-standards.github.com is to get vendors and users
on board with implementing open standards.  We built on existing efforts,
and did in fact both reference and build on the efforts Rufus mentioned.

Our primary goal is vendor interoperability and data portability.  To do
that, we need to have vendors building the same standards.  I've started
another thread about what we were looking to accomplish with
open-data-standards.github.com, as well as the gaps we saw in current
efforts.

As Rufus said, we have been talking, and moving towards a path towards
combing efforts.  I'm optimistic that this will bear fruit, and am less
tied to the idea of this being  http://open-data-standards.github.com/  vs.
http://www.dataprotocols.org. We just need to have a single place to build
cross vendor standards.  We think this is important.

    --Will Pugh, CTO at Socrata.