[open-government] New post Open Data, Technology and Government 2.0 – What Should We, And Should We Not, Expect

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Thu Sep 13 14:44:19 UTC 2012

> There’s a*danger if open data is seen as a panacea that will magically
> solve climate change or eliminate corruption because it will
> inevitably fail to do so and hope and enthusiasm will be replaced by
> disappointment and dis-engagement*.

I agree entirely with the conclusion. But...

There has been a lot of writing on this lately (the Crooked Timber
series w/ the Tom [S]lee's etc. [1], John Wonderlich's response [2]).
All of this so far, including your post, has worked through tough issues
and I've learned a lot from it all. But where is open data actually seen
as a panacea? Where is this problem coming from?

Open data advocates almost never make big promises. We know that data !=
change. Who is raising expectations too high?

[1] http://crookedtimber.org/2012/07/17/open-data-seminar-2/
[2]
http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2012/07/06/open-data-creates-accountability/

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)