[open-government] Froide and Alaveteli

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Thu Apr 4 14:19:37 UTC 2013

The latest OKF newsletter writes:

> Build your own FOI portal with Froide! The open-source, Python-based Freedom of Information platform which powers the German and Austrian instances of FragDenStaat, was released in version 3.0 this month.

I wasn't previously aware of Froide attempting to achieve re-use outside FragDenStaat. If that's the goal, it would be helpful to understand how Froide differs from Alaveteli. Alaveteli has been used by 10 other groups and is well-supported by mySociety, with regular bug fixes and improvements. Right now, it's not clear why one would choose Froide over Alaveteli.

Thanks for clarifications,

James