[open-government] Commission - PSI Directive

innovation consortium innovation-navigator at chello.at
Thu Apr 11 07:03:27 UTC 2013

Dear Erik and daniel and folks,

if y ou followed the negotiations regarding the
PSI Directive between 1998 and 2001 you would know
the most sensitive issues and why they will NOT
change.
 - compulsory free of charge pricing not feasible,
especially not in times of scarce public
budgeting.
- if you would extend free pricing also to
cultural institutions, this sector will be out of
the Directive.

At least in Austria there was NO dialogue between
the cultural institutions and the other
stakeholder groups in the past 5 years regarding
extending the scope of the PSI Directive.
This has to be done by you guys and not be the
national goverments. Unless this dialogue has not
been started off, the cultural sector will stay
out.

(from a technical point of view some cultural
institutions are 20 years ahead of other public
dataholders. You may license, pay and download
digital objects within 50min at home).
But FREE pricing is a no go for most of them,
since their revenues are more and less important
for their whole department.

Best regards,

Gerhard, Vienna