[open-government] Definitions of Open Government and Open Government Data

Tomoaki Watanabe tomoaki.watanabe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:20:36 UTC 2013

Hi. I don't have any particular literature to cite, but I believe
that open government data policies often have different
objectives than open government policies.

While open government is mostly about improving government,
- its process, operations, accountability, quality of its decisions,
etc., open government data policies usually aims at improving
society at large. If a private company makes money by making
use of open government data, that is a gain from open data
policy's perspective. But it is an irrelevant issue from open
government perspective.

For this reason, I think open government data is about any data
that happens to be in the hand of government. It is not just about
government's operations.

just my 2cents.

Best,

Tomo