[open-government] Open data movement in Japan

Baden Appleyard b.appleyard at ausgoal.gov.au
Wed Apr 17 11:02:27 UTC 2013

Hi Tomo,

Thanks for your update.

As to your question about small start or a big splash..

If the conditions are right, a big splash might be successful.  What are
the conditions?   Well, I suppose, some of them might be

Do you have overt Prime Ministerial support?
Has a minister of the government been appointed to drive open access and
report on it to the rest of the government?
Are the appropriate policies (licensing, procurement, etc), procedures and
guidelines in place?
Do you have issues with large volumes of data in which nested copyright
issues prevent you from publishing?
Is it realistic that you could have high value datasets published in a
relatively short period of time?
Whats your assessment of receptiveness to cultural change within the public
service that will likely need to be harnessed to deliver a big launch?
Is the community on board or is there significant community engagement and
interest?

Of course, many people on this list might have others, or perhaps disagree?

If in doubt, starting small and moving up is a good way to go.  I prefer
it.  Especially if its publicised that it is the beginning of something
that will grow bigger, and a timeline of development / growth phases are
published with the renouncement.

Kind regards,

________________
*Baden M Appleyard*
National Programme Director
Australian Governments' Open Access and Licensing Framework (AusGOAL)
Mobile: +61(0)459 824 061
Linkedin: http://au.linkedin.com/in/badenappleyard

AusGOAL
Visit our Website <http://www.ausgoal.gov.au> | Subscribe to our