[open-government] Open data movement in Japan

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Wed Apr 17 11:48:19 UTC 2013

Tomoaki

Many thanks for the update.

On the rollout strategy, you need to make a big splash *and* then grow over
the following months!  If you only have a few, boring, datasets on day 1
then it will not have the impact you need, especially the impact within the
government itself.  So aim to have a collection of useful and valuable
datasets on day 1 - including at least a few from the list of known
high-value and much reused datasets (see for instance the list on page 20 of
the World Bank Open Data Readiness Assessment Framework [1]).  On the other
hand it will almost certainly not be possible to get everything released for
day 1 - and certainly not without introducing excessive delay.  So make a
big splash, and then use that and the political commitment to work through
the 'harder' datasets over the next few months.

On the CC-BY-ND you need to push back on what *risk* the Ministry are trying
to mitigate - a major point in Open Data (and other types of Open Knowledge)
is that the information owner cannot predict what valuable reuses of their
information could result, and so the licence needs to be Open to permit
unpredictable valuable applications to happen.

For instance, for text a "derivative" could be a translation into another
language or a précis [2].  Suppose a Japanese firm wanted to export widgets
to Russia, and wanted to include a portion of the METI's annual report
praising the strength of the Japanese widget industry and the quality of
Japanese widgets into Russian as part of its sales and marketing effort.
CC-BY-ND would not allow this.

Often government Ministry are worried about a derivative being claimed as an
original text from the Ministry.  However CC-BY already has sufficient
protections against this.

Regards

Andrew

[1]
http://data.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/1/od_readiness_-_revised_v2.pd
[2] beyond "fair use", if allowed in the jurisdiction