[open-government] OGL-Canada proposal feedback from the Open Definition Advisory Council

Toby Mendel toby at law-democracy.org
Fri Feb 1 02:04:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Adopting an Open Government Licence is one of the two foundational commitments in the Canadian OGP Action Plan, adopted in April 2012 (available at: http://www.opengovpartnership.org/sites/www.opengovpartnership.org/files/country_action_plans/Canada%27s%20Action%20Plan%20on%20Open%20Government%20-%20Plan%20d%27action%20du%20Canada%20sur%20le%20gouvernement%20ouvert_0.pdf)

Specifically, the Action Plan states:

"Open Government License: To support the Directive and reduce the administrative burden of managing multiple licensing regimes across the Government of Canada, we will issue a new universal Open Government License in Year 1 of our Action Plan with the goal of removing restrictions on the reuse of published Government of Canada information (data, info, websites, publications) and aligning with international best practices. In developing this new license we will also coordinate with other OGP members to allow more seamless collaboration across borders. The purpose of the new Open Government License will be to promote the re-use of federal information as widely as possible. It is our goal that federal departments will have adopted this new universal Open Government License by the end of Year 2 of the Action Plan."

So this is all very relevant indeed to our assessment of Canada's Action Plan and the implementation thereof.

Toby

Toby Mendel
Executive Director

Centre for Law and Democracy