[open-government] trade agreement use-case

Ole.Wintermann at bertelsmann-stiftung.de Ole.Wintermann at bertelsmann-stiftung.de
Thu Feb 28 20:44:39 UTC 2013

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the hint and that link!

Best
Ole

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 28.02.2013 um 20:58 schrieb "JOSEFSSON Erik" <erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu<mailto:erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu>>:

On 02/28/2013 08:05 PM, Ole.Wintermann at bertelsmann-stiftung.de<mailto:Ole.Wintermann at bertelsmann-stiftung.de> wrote:

I fully agree upon that.

That was also one important reason to focus on this trade agreement. We should prevent such a closed shop process at an early stage. At least we should try to foster an early public debate about that problem

Exactly the reasoning in DFRI - make sure the EP does not close down what it actually opened up in ACTA (even if it was chaotic, some things were released).

As a "warm-up" for the EU-US agreement DFRI (a relatively new SE EDRi member) has sent a request for ACTA documents to the EP President (pasted below).

Link: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.dfri/406

Best regards.

//Erik

Dear Mr President Schulz,

The European Parliament has played an active role in transparency
issues relating to ACTA both by demanding disclosure and by disclosing
documents [1,2,3] but also, in some instances, by actively withholding
public information [4]. This complexity follows as a consequence from
that the European Parliament should have been immediately and fully
informed at all stages of the ACTA procedure.

The Commission always claimed that the European Parliament had been
properly informed [5] to the extent that not even a lawsuit claiming
the opposite [6] moderated that stance. Further, it is our
understanding that the Commission also claimed that the European
Parliament's vote on consent would be immaterial as an effect of the
Commission's referral of ACTA to the Court of Justice [7].

Your own commitment to transparency in ACTA [8] has been duly noted
and appreciated. We therefore ask you to keep the same high
transparency standards also when it comes to the aftermath and closing
of the ACTA file.

We understand that the European Parliament has submitted written
observations to the Court of Justice and that a question asked by the
Court of Justice to the Commission have been sent to the European
Parliament [9].

We would kindly ask for your intervention to immediately make all
documents available to the public.

With best regards,
Linus Nordberg
DFRI - Föreningen för digitala fri- och rättigheter
https://dfri.se/index.en

[1] https://dfri.se/files/am109_on_ACTA_disclosure.png
[2] http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P7-TA-2010-0058+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN
[3] http://lists.act-on-acta.eu/pipermail/hub/2011-December/000072.html