[open-government] What should be in the guide to opening government?

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:02:36 UTC 2013

Hi Maya, Jonathan,

This remind me a question I raised on the list few months ago : Does the
Open Government Partnership endorse a clear definition of Open Government
Data ?<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-government/2012-November/002433.html>

I did not look any further since then, but this is surely something that
would need to be addressed not only in the Opening Government Guide but
also in the declaration of the OGP.

Best regards,
Pierre

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi Maya,
>
> Thanks for forwarding this.
>
> While I know this is about open government (rather than about open
> government data or open information about government per se) I was
> surprised to see only one mention of licensing/legal reuse in the whole
> document (under Aid Transparency).
>
> Open licensing/legal reusability is not even mentioned in the "Open
> Government Data" chapter, which is - again - surprising, as explicit open
> license or terms of use have been a major part of nearly all open
> government data initiatives around the world. In order to maximise uptake,
> potential users of government information need to be able to know that they
> can legally reuse this information without facing potential legal action or
> takedown notices.
>
> Also while there is lots of fairly detailed information about what kinds
> of information to collect and release throughout the document, without a
> clear green light for citizens and end users of this information, they may
> not legally be allowed to redistribute it (which may inhibit many of the
> interesting and innovative open government activities that I'm sure this
> initiative aims to promote).
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan
>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Maya Forstater <hiyamaya at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>

>> I am working with the Transparency & Accountability Initiative (T/AI), on
>> updating the Opening Government Guide.
>>
>> The guide which you can find here
>> http://www.transparency-initiative.org/reports/opening-government was
>> published in 2011 and was the first document of its kind to compile good
>> practice in transparency, accountability and citizen participation across a
>> wide range of open government areas.
>>
>> We are now seeking to update it, and develop it into a richer hub of
>> information to enable governments and civil society organisations to
>> understand the range of issues that might be addressed as part of Open
>> Government, to benchmark their own starting points and access guidance,
>> tools and networks.
>>
>> The new resource will be hosted on the website of the Civil Society
>> Coordinator of the Open Government Partnership.
>>
>> As a first step we are seeking feedback on the original guide, to help
>> understand how it has been used, where people see gaps and how it can be
>> improved. We are also looking for events taking place during this year that
>> would be good settings for discussing the resource as it develops.
>>
>> If you have read or used the guide over the past couple of years, or even
>> if you have just heard about it, please take 5 minutes to give us some
>> feedback. There is a very short survey here goo.gl/SxcAX - or you can
>> email me freestyle.
>>
>> If you would like to give specific feedback on a particular chapter there
>> is a short survey here  goo.gl/Il5ZT.
>>
>> Thanks

> [...]

*Pierre Chrzanowski*
Mobile: 00 33 7 855 71 292 // Skype: pierre.chrzanowski // Twitter :
piezanowski