[open-government] Google.org invests $3.7 million in civic innovation through technology - via Sunlight Foundation and mySociety

Gannon Dick gannon_dick at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 18:53:27 UTC 2013

Thanks Steven.  The W3C is being a bit rude and not printing text to the archives.  With my name, I get that a lot :-)

Lets see who else is being a techno-nudge ...

Re: Google.org invests $3.7 million in civic innovation through  technology - via Sunlight Foundation and mySociety

Getting local, going deep, sharing across communities ... I like it! Congrats
to Sunlight and mySociety, I look forward to how your investments in
civic
 technology will help local communities everywhere. My measure will be
when I see an impact on my hometown of Minneapolis not just those big
cities that get all the cool stuff! :-) - Steven Clift, E-Democracy.org

Way back when, the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) used a "digital" units
system[*] to make sure not just the big cities got the cool stuff.  If
you were following the DKAN presentation, he took the Airports and
mapped them to polygons.  So what if Minneapolis was square and had the
name "Minneapolis" attached ? ... PLSS.

This data set is at: (name) a sample row is below.  There are 3,592 rows,
the data comes from the Census.  The hard part is not decorations like
LOC links, but rather pre-sifting which 10 or 15 rows you want. The
corresponding "places" table from the Census has 28k + rows. The altitude, Timezone and WX (Nearest
Airport) is better to get from the National Weather Service by using the latitude and longitude given.  Since land and water are in both sq mi
and sq m, the number of "Townships" (def. 36 sq mi) or "twp" varies.
POP10=2010 Census Pop, HU10=Housing Units.

<row name="http://www.rustprivacy.org/2013/egov/uaa.csv">
  <column name="state_post">OK</column>
  <column name="geo_state">40</column>
  <column name="state_name">Oklahoma</column>
  <column
 name="loc_gac">http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/n-us-ok</column>
  <column name="geoid">36082</column>
  <column name="name">Guthrie, OK Urban Cluster</column>
  <column name="pop10">8191</column>
  <column name="hu10">3711</column>
  <column name="a_land_mi">5.316</column>
  <column name="a_water_mi">0.000</column>
  <column name="twp">0.147667</column>
  <column name="twpm">0.147664</column>
  <column name="lat">35.878387</column>
  <column name="lon">-97.419131</column>