[open-government] funding of arts/culture in europe and economic crisis

Olav Anders Øvrebø olav.ovrebo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 07:52:28 UTC 2013

Hi,
I am researching an article about funding of arts and culture around
Europe. My aim is to create an overview over the impacts on the arts
and cultural sector of austerity/the economic crisis. It would be
great to get tips on how to find the relevant data (a challenge here
is that it has to be quite recent, otherwise I won't find out about
the "crisis effect"). Preferably covering EU-27 or as many countries
as
possible, but data on single countries also interesting:

- Government/state funding: I have data from Eurostat on government
expenditure until 2011 for EU-27 and the member states, following the
Cofog standard (GF08). However I am still looking for more recent
data, especially for the worst crisis hit countries (Spain, Italy,
Portugal, Greece, Ireland). If you have seen data on this, please let
me know. Government budgets are normally not presented according to
the Cofog standard, but that doesn't matter as long as I can find the
data for i.e the cultural ministries' budgets.

- Non-state financing of culture: i.e sponsorships from businesses,
funding by foundations etc

- The public's use of culture, i.e cinema visits, library lending,
book reading etc
- Employees in the cultural sector

All the best
Olav Øvrebø, journalist, Norway