[open-government] Feedback on the EU Open Data Portal

Timothy Vollmer tvol at creativecommons.org
Tue Jul 2 18:17:11 UTC 2013

Just as a clarification, the point of asking the Commission about licensing
would be to push for open, standardized licenses as the way to go. The
updated PSI directive suggests this, and Kroes made a reference to it in
her speech promoting Europeana and their use of CC0 (see
http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/neelie-kroes/open-data-agreement/). So if the EC
is leaning toward open licenses for others' content and data, why not for
that material coming directly out of the EC? And, there have been other
good moves from the US gov in recommending standardized open licenses and
public domain tools (see http://project-open-data.github.io/open-licenses/),
as well as the OGL v2.0 now coming into alignment with the Open Definition.

tvol