[open-government] OpenGov WG call - Thursday July 4 2013 - meeting minutes

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Fri Jul 5 06:11:56 UTC 2013

Hi Immanuel,

Good points and we had the exact same discussion in the call. In fact your
points were immediately brought forward by others and everyone agreed with
your argumentation, myself included, but also realized that work habits
often trumps ideology. At this point, Google Docs/Drive offers
functionalities and advantages that Etherpad unfortunately do not.
On the same note we also use Skype and Google Hangout for the calls, which
are also proprietary software (and even supposedly NSA-monitored), but acts
as consumer standards and serve the purpose of getting as many people
involved in the community as possible. It's difficult to balance
functionality against ideology when the goal is to get people to join, so
we choose to focus on the result (a growing community around Open Gov Data
and being as inclusive as possible) rather than the road there (using only
open tools). This does not mean that we do not have an opinion that is
clearly in favor of FLOSS.

Using G Docs needn't be permanent, though. We'll continue to be on the
lookout for better, open tools. And would very much to receive suggestions
on that front.

Thanks for engaging,

-Christian

--

Christian Villum

Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
*Empowering through Open Knowledge
*http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

*Have you registered for OKCon 2013 <http://okcon.org/>?*