[open-government] Feedback on the EU Open Data Portal

Phil Archer phila at w3.org
Mon Jul 8 14:57:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've finally found a trivial amount of time to look at how the portal is
coming along. It's looking nice ad the fact that I've only got nit-picks
is a definite positive!

A purely personal opinion - being rather slow on things I'm afraid I
didn't immediately realise that the bulk of the home page is taken up
with a video, I saw it as a simple graphic of a file icon. I'd prefer to
see the video window smaller and the welcome text above the fold.

I was looking at the worksheet specification you link to from the linked
data page. The info on ADMS needs updating - version 0.98 to which you
refer was quite some time ago. ADMS is now a W3C Note, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-adms/. It's now fully aligned with DCAT
(which is about to go to second last call) and the ORG Ontology.

I imagine you're already aware of the work being done to define a DCAT
profile for European portals? That's where you get things like values
from controlled vocabularies, cardinalities etc. See (and please do
comment on)
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/dcat_application_profile/asset_release/dcat-application-profile-data-portals-europe-final-draf

Separately, I'm always interested to see what linked data is being
published so I used the rdf/xml format link at the side of the full list
of data. All 11 data sets listed when I do that are from DG SANCO I
believe. I didn't check every one but three three I did check were all
zip files containing a mixture of files with .xml and .json extensions.
The former really ought to be .rdf (I hope the portal doesn't have some
silly restriction like only allowing certain extensions of which .rdf
isn't one :-) ) And I can't see the context files for the JSON (the URIs
give 404s). There are other 404s around as well but that's always the
way with supplied data. For example,
http://open-data.europa.eu/en/data/dataset/AcyIY83g1opyyupLt7lA gives
the URL for additional info as
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consumer/datasets/food/rasff which is a 404.

Is SANCO supplying data as RDF/XML and JSON-LD or are you converting it?
If the latter, can you output Turtle as well? (RDF-heads really don't
like RDF/XML... ;-) )

Sorry to be so brief - it's looking better all the time.

Cheers

Phil.