[open-government] Feedback on the EU Open Data Portal

Ankit Sharma ankitsharma.iiitm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 09:44:47 UTC 2013

Hi Christian,
I blogged<http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/dados-launch-of-the-brazilian-open-government-data-portal/>about
the general features all open government catalogues must aim for a
few months back. Looking at Brazil's open goverment data portal, the
blog<http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/dados-launch-of-the-brazilian-open-government-data-portal/>mentions
that the catalogues must have the following features:

1. Searching datasets
2. Viewing Apps built on those datasets
3. Social Media Integration
4. Look at open data resources (research papers, articles, latest trends
etc.)
5. General features (share the vision, and gather user feedback)

If not already, I suggest same should be aimed for EU Open Data Portal. And
looking at the website it looks great and inviting user feedback from this
email, is already a tick in the box!

Hope this will help.

best wishes,
Ankit

Link to the blog -
http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/dados-launch-of-the-brazilian-open-government-data-portal/

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Timothy Vollmer
<tvol at creativecommons.org>wrote:

> sure
>

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Christian Villum <
> christian.villum at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Timothy,
>>
>> Thank you for this feedback, very useful indeed. Would it be okay if I
>> include your contact details in the report, thereby inviting potential
>> follow-up on their side?
>>
>> -Christian
>>
>>   --
>>
>> Christian Villum
>>
>> Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
>> skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
>> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
>> *Empowering through Open Knowledge
>> *http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |
>> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
>>
>> *Have you registered for OKCon 2013 <http://okcon.org/>?*
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Timothy Vollmer <tvol at creativecommons.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just as a clarification, the point of asking the Commission about
>>> licensing would be to push for open, standardized licenses as the way to
>>> go. The updated PSI directive suggests this, and Kroes made a reference to
>>> it in her speech promoting Europeana and their use of CC0 (see
>>> http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/neelie-kroes/open-data-agreement/). So if the
>>> EC is leaning toward open licenses for others' content and data, why not
>>> for that material coming directly out of the EC? And, there have been other
>>> good moves from the US gov in recommending standardized open licenses and
>>> public domain tools (see
>>> http://project-open-data.github.io/open-licenses/), as well as the OGL
>>> v2.0 now coming into alignment with the Open Definition.
>>>
>>> tvol

Ankit Sharma
Masters | London School of Economics '10
http://inferringvalue.wordpress.com