[open-government] Advice on Open Dataset Terms & Conditions in Hong Kong

Tomoaki Watanabe tomoaki.watanabe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 17:27:17 UTC 2013

Hello.

Let me try to crack at another question you asked:

What steps could be taken to get governments to follow these guidelines?

1) How about an analysis on the relation between the policy goals for the
HK's "open data" efforts and this Terms and Conditions? Is open data just
about increasing transparency? If gaining economic benefits for
HK is among the goals, then making the T&Cs more user-friendly
would make sense.
http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/psi/freqaskedquestions/#q2 seems to suggest
that HK open data is, like many others, about promoting reuse.

Even if the transparency is the only goal, some visualization and other
manipulation can contribute the public's understanding
of otherwise complex data and issues. Openspending.org probably
illustrates this point well. Quite a few data portals has a section on
Apps using the data. Showing some of those may give government
officials some idea on the potential of more permissive conditions.

2) how about giving some feedback from potential users, like a
local geek/hacker community regarding the terms& conditions?
I know in some areas, Open Knowledge Foundation,
Wikimedia, Creative Commons, and/ or open source communities
work together in providing opinions and other inputs to the government.
Are you in touch with any of them?

3) Does HK government care about how other governments are doing?
Then explaining OGL 2.0 or some other open data licenses may work.

Best,

Tomo
 OKF Japan/ Creative Commons Japan/ GLOCOM