[open-government] Announcing the Global Open Data Initiative (Web Foundation, Sunlight Foundation, Open Institute, Open Knowledge Foundation, Fundar)

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Mon Jun 17 16:31:51 UTC 2013

http://globalopendatainitiative.org/2013/06/12/announcing-the-global-open-data-initiative/
Announcing the Global Open Data Initiative
June 12, 2013 in
Uncategorized<http://globalopendatainitiative.org/category/uncategorized/>

*As partners we are extremely excited to announce the Global Open Data
Initiative (GODI); an action to share principles and resources for
governments and societies on how to best harness the opportunities created
by opening government data.*

With this initiative we intend to provide a roadmap of policies and
institutions that governments can use to build meaningful new open data
reforms and initiatives, based on the successes of others. The formalized
collaboration is motivated by the fact that each of our organizations are
in different and complementary ways focused on developing tools and ideas
to help build locally and globally sustainable open data ecosystems.
Putting our strengths and networks together in the Global Open Data
Initiative is a natural step towards intensifying these efforts.

At this point we are still in an early stage, but have identified six key
areas of action:

   - Serve as a global guiding voice on open data issues
   - Provide a leading vision for how governments approach open data
   - Increase awareness of open data
   - Support the development of the global open data community
   - Amplify and broaden the evidence base for open data
   - Gather and strengthen existing resources

Read more in detail about these areas in the Our Work
section<http://globalopendatainitiative.org/2013/06/12/announcing-the-global-open-data-initiative/>
.

Announcing the Global Open Data Initiative has been publicized in
variations on all partner blogs: Web
Foundation<http://www.webfoundation.org/2013/06/announcing-the-global-open-data-initiative-godi/>
, Sunlight Foundation<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/06/11/announcing-the-global-open-data-initiative/>
, Open Institute <http://openinstitute.com/?p=981>, Open Knowledge
Foundation<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/06/11/announcing-the-global-open-data-initiative/tbo>,
and – in Spanish – Fundar <http://fundar.org.mx/mexico/?p=10214>.

We cordially invite your participation and input, so please sign up to
the discussion
list <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/global-open-data-initiative> or
get in touch via the contact form<http://globalopendatainitiative.org/contact/>
.