[open-government] [School-of-data] question city council data (Diane Mercier)

Liam Currie liam.j.currie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:38:21 UTC 2013

I have spent an excessive amount of time looking at most of the municipal
datasets available in Canada.  I can answer the question of how many
council data sets exists pretty quickly:

Edmonton provides the best Council data (agenda items, meeting details,
attendance, motions, and voting records; all cross referenceable) in
machine readable format and has API access.
Toronto provides councillor attendance and voting records in XLS and CSV.
 They also have the TABS program (http://tabstoronto.com/) that can provide
a lot of detailed information and is searchable.
Nanaimo, BC provides some basic data on the meetings along with a PDF of
the minutes.
Quebec City provides an up-to-date schedule of council meetings.
Many cities such as Fredericton, NB, provide PDF versions of the meeting
minutes.

Note that this info is only up to date as of November 2012 and does not
include the cities that have started programs after the summer of 2012.

-Liam Currie
--

D309 Macintosh-Corry Hall,
Department of Geography,