[open-government] Retrieval of company revenues

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:35:15 UTC 2013

Following on from what Dan said, pretty much every company register in the
world issues identifiers for each company (read this old post on Sunlight's
blog <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2011/11/15/30018/> and this one on
DUNS numbers<http://blog.opencorporates.com/2012/07/24/are-duns-numbers-the-crack-cocaine-of-id-systems-and-is-the-uk-the-latest-addict/>for
some of the wider issues).

OpenCorporates <http://OpenCorporates.com> uses these in its URIs so
doesn't add any IP. There are lots of proprietary ones out there (DUNS,
Bloomberg etc), but they are all problematic from a quality and a legal
perspective. You can use the OpenCorporates format even if we don't have
the jurisdiction yet, and when we do, you know you'll be able to link to
it, or use something similar (and if we do, as Dan mentioned you can use
our Google Refine reconciliation API). If you're wanting to do anything in
the open space just don't use proprietary IDs, as it will undermine both
the argument and any open licence you use.

Re the financials, the problem is that many jurisdictions don't collect
this information as data (i.e it's in PDFs) or don't collect it at all. So
you're left with proprietary solutions. Then it's just a question of who
has the best price/data/licence. But again, you have have issues with
derived data licences. Or you could help open this data up for the wider
world ; -)

Re financials vocabularies XBRL is the de facto standard.

Hope this helps

Chris Taggart
Co-founder

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
Blog: http://blog.opencorporates.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/OpenCorporates

OpenCorporates is published by Chrinon Ltd, a company dedicated to
improving and publishing public data under an open licence that allows and
encourages reuse, including commercially. Registered in England, number
07444723.