[open-government] Guide how to run your gov dataportal

Irina Bolychevsky irina.bolychevsky at okfn.org
Fri Mar 1 11:14:23 UTC 2013

+1 to data portal best practices guide. ASAP!

>From my perspective the following a key:
- Central aggregation (whether via web input or harvesting) is very useful.
Harvesting allows decentralisation of approval processes.
- Standardisation for vocabularies and/or tags (e.g. spending data always
has a consistent tag)
- Publish reports on how timely the data is to encourage speedy publication
/ registration on the central portal (e.g.
http://data.gov.uk/data/openspending-report/index)
- Ensure your portal has an API to all metadata fields (extra points if
you're compliant with DCIP http://spec.datacatalogs.org/)
- Run link checking reports and hide datasets that contain broken links
until updated to cut down on noise (& inform publishers on need to update).

Irina

Irina Bolychevsky
CKAN Product Owner

The Open Knowledge Foundation (http://www.okfn.org)