[open-government] Japan to launch national open data portal

Tomoaki Watanabe tomoaki.watanabe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi.

This is Tomo from OKF Japan group. I am a de facto international
liaison of the group so far.

I follow Japanese government's implementation of open data
somewhat closely, because I am currently sitting on a government
committee discussing implementation issues.

I inquired a government official if I can publicly share
unpublished information in general (on this matter or anything else),
and the answer was no.

I do have some relevant information, but I can neither confirm or
deny anything at this time, it seems :-(

By the way, Hiroichi, who was featured in that article, is another
member of OKFJ. He was on the committee primarily responsible for
drafting the national open data strategy that was adopted last summer,
and is on the implementation committee.

My understanding is that I can discuss about unpublished information
in a more closed setting, especially if that helps my service on the
committee. So if you have some urgent things to say about the
Japanese data portal, please contact me or Hiroichi via email. Or
I will share the information when something relevant is published.

Lastly, thank you Jonathan for pinging me!

Best,

Tomo
----
 Tomoaki Watanabe, Ph.D.