[open-government] Sunlight: A TCamp13 recap, and next steps

Steven Clift clift at e-democracy.org
Tue May 21 21:26:06 UTC 2013

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Jse9n80qk

More:

From: Lindsay Young, Sunlight Foundation <info at sunlightfoundation.com>
Date: Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Subject: A TCamp13 recap, and next steps
To: Steven Clift <clift at publicus.net>

**

Dear Steven,

"The only way for democracy to bloom is for the sun to shine in.” These are
the words of Martha Mendoza from The Associated Press -- a keynote speaker
at TransparencyCamp 2013. At Sunlight, we couldn’t have said it better.
This year’s TCamp was particularly inspiring because attendees recognized
that the unconference is only the starting point. And now we are starting
to see results.

TCamper Waldo Jaquith is already making good on his promise and has created
a database with public
comments<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a839/1781087284/VEsH/>on
proposed regulation in Virginia. But he is not alone. Sparked by
conversations at TCamp, attendees followed through on their word and used
data from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to develop an open
source tool that visualizes bank
complaints<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a83a/1781087284/VEsE/>
.

*Don’t take our word for it. Watch how TCamp 13 is igniting an opengov
movement*<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a83b/1781087284/VEsF/>
.

[image: Watch this recap of TCamp
2013]<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a83b/1781087284/VEsC/>

Your good ideas and experience mirrored other TCampers’ ideas, who were
ready to propel what they had learned to the next stage. So when we see
projects such as TransparencyCamp
Uruguay<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a824/1781087284/VEsD/>from
fellow TCamper Fabrizio Scrollini Mendez -- we are motivated to
support them -- knowing that the need for an accountable government, is one
that is desired by many, across borders.

We captured some of the sessions at TCamp -- you just may see yourself or a
colleague in our Flickr photo
stream<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a825/1781087284/VEsA/>,
and you are welcome to add any you may have taken. And let’s keep the
conversation going at #TCAMP13!

Thanks for all that you do,

Lindsay, Solay and the rest of the Sunlight team.

P.S. Read about other projects coming out of TCamp13 and watch more videos
here<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a826/1781087284/VEsB/>
.

P.P.S. Please consider a tax-deductible
contribution<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f589ff/288926f3/33cc8cfa/6807a827/1781087284/VEsO/>to