[open-government] Looking for dataviz courses in EU

Alexander Dutton lists at alexdutton.co.uk
Thu May 9 12:43:48 UTC 2013

Hello!

In the UK, Tableau are running a free workshop for data journalists:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/about/blog/2013/5/fanalytics-feed-your-passion-data-tcceu-23173

It's also free if you're also attending their (paid-for) conference.

There's a data journalism course happening in London in October:

http://www.journalism.co.uk/learn-data-visualisations-course/s345/

The Department of Continuing Education at the University of Oxford have
previously run a "Publicly available data - prospecting, excavating,
refining" weekend course:

http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=G400-57

(Disclaimer: I'm a University of Oxford employee)

It could be worth contacting some of the people presenting these courses
to ask whether they know of other things, or would be willing to travel
somewhere to teach a paying group.

I've also found these books rather useful:

Interactive Data Visualization for the Web (Scott Murray)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1449339735/
A practical guide to using D3 (http://d3js.org/) for visualising data

Visualise This (Nathan Yau)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0470944889/
More theory and design tips.

Facts are Sacred (Simon Rogers)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0571301614/
Examples and explanations of some of the visualisations created by the
Guardian Datablog team.

Hope this helps,

Alex