[open-government] Deciphering licensing in Project Open Data

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Thu May 23 03:02:52 UTC 2013

To add on to this and clarify what Timothy wrote about in that post,
the memorandum is almost entirely incoherent on the subject of
licensing, and in three ways.

First, it says that agencies should use open licenses for all data,
period. Data produced by the federal government is typically not subject
to copyright protection. You can't license something you don't own. If
agencies began attempting to create "open licenses" for public domain
data, we are going to be in a lot of trouble. (Data produced by
government contractors is subject to copyright protection, which is a
major loophole in our copyright law.)

Second, every place where it mentions "open license" it says something
like "an open license that places no restriction on use." That's a
*stronger* policy than simply open license. That is to say, I think the
memorandum is pretty clear in requiring agencies to use a license that
is *both* OKD-style open *as well as* placing no restrictions on use.
The only "license" that I know of that does that is CC0 (or the PDDL).

Third, the memorandum directs agencies to consult the Project Open Data
(POD) github account for implementation advice, but the POD site
portrays the policy as if "no restrictions on use" were not in the
memorandum. So, again, it's incredibly unclear what the White House
intended.

Here in the U.S. we have unusually, if not uniquely, strong norms about
the government not interfering with public knowledge. Propaganda is
illegal. Freedom of the press is incredibly strong (recent events
notwithstanding). Requiring attribution to the government, for instance,
which might sound reasonable elsewhere, would be a major policy shift
with significant legal implications for the press. "No restrictions on
use" is our baseline. The consensus in the open data community here has
long been that open government data is not "open" (in the sense of the
OKD) but license-free. Even though "open license" sounds great, it's
actually a step away from freedom.

I've written more on this here:

http://razor.occams.info/blog/2013/05/09/new-open-data-memorandum-almost-defines-open-data-misses-mark-with-open-licenses/

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)