[open-government] Last Chance - Municipal transparency help

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Wed May 29 04:16:46 UTC 2013

On the other hand, governments are much more likely to disclose tender data than transactional data. There are still enough big problems in tenders that we don't need to worry about a civil servant spending too much at Tim Hortons or similar (though, that does make for news stories). The UK parliamentary expenses scandal, for example, didn't really have that much of a financial impact - a few million pounds worth of fraud can be accomplished in a single fraudulent tender. It did have an impact in terms of MPs leaving politics and the public losing faith - and hopefully the long-term result of that is more responsible MPs or at least long-lasting reforms for better oversight.