[open-government] Opportunities for knowledge and expertise sharing with Sunlight Foundation

Lindsay Ferris lferris at sunlightfoundation.com
Wed Aug 13 14:10:55 UTC 2014

**Apologies for cross posting**

Hi all,

This morning, Sunlight Foundation launched our newly revamped program to
facilitate international exchanges between partner NGOs across the globe.
Conducting 2-3 week long exchanges where organizations have the opportunity
to host Sunlight staff members or spend time in our Washington, D.C. office
has been a key component of Sunlight's strategy to build capacity for NGOs
for the last two years. In the past, these exchanges have resulted in
successful new tools and the broadening of technical expertise for both
parties.

Now, we've revamped our application process. We want to broaden the
organizations that we reach and form a more inclusive community of
partners. Please visit our Sunlight blog for more information on how to
apply
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/08/13/apply-for-sunlights-2014-international-exchange-program/>
or inquire below.

Please contact international at sunlightfoundation.com if you have any
additional questions.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Apply for Sunlight's 2014 international exchange program!
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/08/13/apply-for-sunlights-2014-international-exchange-program/>
by Lindsay Ferris <http://sunlightfoundation.com/team/lferris/>

   - policy <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/policy/>

AUG. 13, 2014, 9:48 A.M.
[image: Photo of Emmanuel Okyere in U.S. Capitol]

Emmanuel Okyere of Odekro, a PMO in Ghana, in U.S. Capitol building.

*How to apply: Interested in taking part of our exchange program? Click
here to fill out our application form
<https://docs.google.com/a/sunlightfoundation.com/forms/d/1TIFdQ-w85OyC3uKDiNIfWqvTD_TuGm9tEOjb4XC7pZE/viewform?edit_requested=true>.
Sunlight will review all applications and contact any candidates that have
been selected for further consideration for an interview.*

Since the launch of Sunlight’s international program two years ago, we have
been working to expand public access to government information on a global
scale. To help achieve this goal, we frequently engage in knowledge sharing
and provide technical expertise and capacity to like-minded organizations
in other countries.

Exchanges between Sunlight staff and members of the global open government
community play a key role in this strategy.

The exchange program gives individuals from organizations outside the U.S.
the opportunity to engage in specialized skills transfer with Sunlight. By
hosting a Sunlighter for a couple of weeks, or spending time at our office
here in Washington, D.C., exchange organizations and fellows can share best
practices on opening data and building effective tools for citizen
engagement. These exchanges are either funded by Sunlight, the
corresponding host organization or other third parties.

*Formalizing our exchanges program* We are now revamping our exchange
program and launching a formal application process. In the past, we’ve
leveraged the organic relationships that Sunlight has already cultivated
with national-level organizations outside the U.S. However, due to
Sunlight’sincreased presence on the global stage
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/policy/international/>, we now see more
demand for exchanges than ever before. We’d like to extend this opportunity
to a larger number of organizations and open up the application process for
everyone.

Since we started conducting exchanges, the scope of Sunlight’s International
Program <http://sunlightfoundation.com/policy/international/> has shifted
too. As we drill down our focus at the international level on revealing
influence through Money, Politics and Transparency
<http://moneypoliticstransparency.org/>, we’d also like to focus our
exchanges program to work with open government activists who try to
*confront* power through public information and increase government
accountability.

*What we’ve learned from the past* Just to give you a sense on the range of
people we’ve worked with, in 2013 we hosted Fernando Uval and Gabriela
Rodriguez, two developers from DATAuy <http://www.datauy.org/> in Uruguay.
During their time at Sunlight, they built scrapers
<http://www.datauy.org/portfolio-item/quesabes/> for data from their
national parliament’s website and drafted an API
<https://github.com/HiroAgustin/DondeReciclo>. Iris Palma, an open
government consultant from El Salvador, spent this past winter with us. She
created
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/01/09/exploring-the-sunlight-foundation/>
the
Spanish translation of the Open Data Policy Guidelines
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/opendataguidelines/>, now featured in the Road
Map for Open Government in Latin American Countries
<http://www.eclac.org/cgi-bin/getProd.asp?xml=/publicaciones/xml/2/52632/P52632.xml&xsl=/publicaciones/ficha-i.xsl&base=/publicaciones/top_publicaciones-i.xsl>.
Eric Mill, a former Sunlight developer, spent three weeks with Fundación
Ciudadano Inteligente <http://www.ciudadanointeligente.org/> in Chile
working on an API for their flagship tool, Vota Inteligente
<http://votainteligente.cl/>, and running workshops on JavaScript and
mobile app development. Last fall, our creative director, Caitlin Weber
spent two weeks with Civio <http://www.civio.es/> in Spain to help brand
their influence monitoring platform
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/10/17/quien-manda-whos-the-boss-spain-edition-now-with-less-tony-danza/>
, Quien Manda.
<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/10/17/quien-manda-whos-the-boss-spain-edition-now-with-less-tony-danza/>
Now
this tool is fully stocked with crowdsourced data mapping the questionably
close relationships <http://quienmanda.es/photos/315> between policymakers
and outside stakeholders. Finally, just earlier this year, Lucy Park of
Popong <http://en.popong.com/> in South Korea spent time at Sunlight making
improvements to Pokr <http://en.pokr.kr/>, a tool that monitors the Korean
National Assembly.

*How to apply* Are you interested in taking part of our exchange program?
Click *here*
<https://docs.google.com/a/sunlightfoundation.com/forms/d/1TIFdQ-w85OyC3uKDiNIfWqvTD_TuGm9tEOjb4XC7pZE/viewform?edit_requested=true>
fill out our application form. Sunlight will review all applications
<https://docs.google.com/a/sunlightfoundation.com/forms/d/1TIFdQ-w85OyC3uKDiNIfWqvTD_TuGm9tEOjb4XC7pZE/viewform?edit_requested=true>
and
contact any candidates that have been selected for further consideration
for an interview. While we will continue to consider all open government
activists regardless of their issue areas, Sunlight will be giving priority
to applicants who use technology to address basic questions of government
accountability, including those who confront opaque lobbying practices,
political finance or corruption within public procurement.

The first deadline for accepting applications is *August 31*.

Should you have any questions, don`t hesitate to contact us at
international at sunlightfoundation.com!

--
Lindsay Ferris
International Policy Associate | Sunlight Foundation